INSPIRE | IGNITE | INFORM
The National Oracy Project's Common Bond: Storytelling in the classroom suggests ways in which storytelling can be used by children within the classroom - It can be used to:
- Allow pupils to learn and demonstrate what they have learnt in a way that is revealing and motivating;
- Give an opportunity for information, events, thoughts and feelings to be explored, shaped, organised and expressed;
- As a way of explaining their understanding of a process, such as functioning of the human digestive system;
- As an outcome of work on a topic, creating a collaborative story which is designed to reveal their understanding of, for example, the causes of pollution, of historical incident;
- As a way of exploring the various myths associated with creation in different cultures.
(Howe and Johnson, 1992)